Thursday, August 31, 2006

Out of Towners

The last week has been one big rush filled with too many things to squeeze in while working all day. Of course the weekend was fill with tons of Birthday fun. I had a couple friends come from out of town to celebrate with me. Hawk came up from her exile in South Carolina to hang out and Leelee came from Boston to hang. I knew Hawk was coming but Leelee completely surprised me! She was suppose to be going from Boston to Austin this week but she decided to stop over to spend some time with me and our friends along with taking the time to see her parents who still live around here. I haven't seen her since she came to visit last Christmas.

I really love spending time with Leelee, she's the only person who will have all night talks about politics and how to change the world with me. She's been living in Boston for the last year with her girlfriend. Now she's off to Austin to finish school and find herself. I can understand the feeling. Lately I have been thinking I need a change.

Yesterday was Mando's birthday so we had a cook out and bonfire at her house, it was a blast. It was great to just be surrounded by the people you have so much history with. Not to say there wasn't a few new people hanging about because there was. Ms. Lucky herself graced us by coming down for the bonfire, Mando had invited her and she didn't tell me. Sneaky girl that one is. I hung out a bit longer than I should have considering I had to work today but it was worth it. I was good though and didn't drink even though Leelee picked up a couple bottles of Boones. She said it was to remind us of all the times we had gotten piss drunk on it during our misspent youth. Yeah those were days I was unable to relive last night as I had adult responsibilities to take care of today.

Leelee and I went out for dinner tonight after I got off work. We had a really long conversation about life, the universe and the evil of Bush. Now I am sitting here still thinking about it. Lately it seems like everyone around me is moving on to these big important periods in their lives and I'm still here, doing the same thing. Hawk moved to SC to get her shit together and get out of debt. Mando and Lolli are talking about having a baby. Leelee is going to Austin to get her Masters. Lucky is getting her PhD. Token is leaving in the spring to go to Europe to bum around for a year with his boyfriend. Jane Danger is starting a new band with Chippy. Chris Piss moved to San Francisco with his boyfriend this summer. The most life changing thing I've done lately is buy a new area rug for the kitchen. Which is a bit life changing if you knew how unhappy I was with the kitchen floor before hand.

I have been looking into going back to school, especially because my company will pay for it 100% so I would be a fool not to take advantage of that. The trouble I'm having is figuring out what I want to go to school for. I know something computer related but that still leaves so many choices. I want to be the person who gets to choose and test the new phones because we have been getting some really shit phones lately. I also want to travel but doesn't everyone? I want to go to Europe and Australia, maybe even South America. And of course Japan because that's where all the cool electronics come from.

I'm just tired of doing the same thing day in day out, year in year out while everyone else is moving forward. So instead if just bitching about it, I'm going to do something about it, especially since I have the opportunity to do so.

5 comments:

Adrienne said...

Its knda funny because when I first met you, you decided that you were gonna 'change" and all that, and I believe it STILL says that same stuff on your myspace page. So, if you're gonna do it, then do it.

Stokley said...

I know, I'm such a slacker but even though I've known I need a change, I was never sure what I could do about it, now I have a purpose and direction :)

Anonymous said...

Ooh. Now I know why you've been... incommunicado. I don't feel so bad now. :)

But yeah.
Message or call me!! :(

Anonymous said...

Remind me next time we argue how "fucking adorable" you look at this moment; peacefully asleep in my bed, cocooned in the blanket. You might be getting to me, Ms. Detached.

Stokley said...

Ms. Detached? You so started that arguement, Little Miss Can't Be Wrong. Thanks for this weekend, it was a blast. Your family is great.