Monday, August 28, 2006

I don't feel older

I've been 30 for 24 hours now and I don't feel different. I didn't wake up yesterday morning with the urge to clean the house, get a new shower curtain to replace the one that's kind of barely hanging in there or feel a sudden need to read the business section in Sunday's paper. It felt like any other day really, not a milestone in my life. Cleaning the house didn't seem any more fun and playing video games didn't feel any less fun. In all reality there wasn't any change that I could tell. Perhaps the "time to be an adult" gene that's suppose to kick in when you turn 30 malfunctioned? Maybe I am just lacking that gene? Everyone says 30 is the new 20 but in retrospect, I don't think I want to redo my 20's. I don't think I would survive a second time around.

I'm not sure what I was expecting to change with the start of a new decade in my life but I expected to feel something different. I have been noticing gradual changes in the last couple years, maybe that was just the build up to turning 30? I know that I have changed since I was 20.

Than: If a girl told me she loved me I'd run away Now: If a girl tells me she loves me I get warm fuzzies.
Than: I could stay up all night drinking with my friends, make it to work and be fine with only an hour of sleep Now: If I go out drinking all night with my friends I'm hurting for the next day at least, forget working.
Than: I went to Raves almost every weekend and took massive amounts of drugs. Now: I hang out with my friends at the same tired club most weekends and take massive amounts of drugs for my allergies.
Than: I would DJ at a lot of the Raves. Now: I DJ'ed my nieces Sweet 16 party.
Than: My friends and I would play marathon games of Tetris. Now: My nephew and I kick each others ass at Mortal Kombat.
Than: I worked at a summer camp for fun and lived off money my friends and I made from selling certain substances. Now: I work full time and live for my 2 weeks off a year.
Than: I lived in this crappy little two room apartment Now: I live in a less crappy tin box that I at least own.
Than: I made mixtapes that really were tapes. Now: I make awesome CD's that I can edit and add effects to.
Than: The thought of a family and being with the same person forever seemed so lame. Now: The thought of a family and being with the same person forever seems nice.

Even though some things have changed, fundamentally I've stayed the same. I might not be exactly where I planned on being at 30 but given what I was doing 10 years ago, I'm doing a hell of a lot better than I should be.

No comments: