Thursday, July 27, 2006

Tale of Three Brothers

I have three younger brothers; Bill, Jack and Bobby. One by birth and the other two by choice and because they were always there. For as long as I can remember, the three of them have always been together. Around my family when you say "the Boys" everyone knows exactly who you are talking about. I have had the joy and pleasure of watching the three of them grow from annoying brats to three amazing guys. I can still remember them all riding around on their BMX bikes, funny to think they all have crotch rockets now. And that they are all old enough to finally go to the bars. To me they will always be my little brothers even though they all are taller than I am. It amazes me to watch the three of them because they really are like three peas in a pod. They all got into custom cars and tricked out theirs. Then when one got a motorcycle the others got their own within months. It's hard to think of one thing while they were growing up that they all didn't do together.


My biological brother is Bill, he's 21 and a great guy. I think God was determined that Mom and Dad have at least one good kid because Bill is allergic to alcohol, which is ironic considering he's one of the best flair bartenders around. A flair bartender is that cool bartender that can flip bottles around his back and juggle them while pouring the perfect drink, yeah, that's Bill. He can be a bit of a hot head at times but he also one of the most intense guys I have ever known. He reminds me of my dad in that he doesn't talk too much but when he does get serious the wisdom that comes out of his mouth blows me away. He's a determined, stubborn, hard headed guy who sticks to his guns. He knows exactly what he wants and doesn't waiver once he's made up his mind. He does what he has to do to get it done. He also has this soft, caring side that he really doesn't show to anyone except those really close to him.

Bobby is my JewBoy, also 21. That kid is one of the funniest people I know. He's so full of life and fun it's hard to be in a bad mood around him. He's also the biggest daredevil, usually the first one to do something crazy and stupid. He's a little bit of a bad boy but not the kind to get arrested but the kind the can be reckless and live for the moment and not worry to much about the consequences. Not too much ever seems to piss him off, he just laughs things off and doesn't take too much seriously. It's amazing considering how hard his mother was on him growing up. He practically lived at my parents house from junior high on.

Jack is the more reserved one, he just turned 21. Ok he was the more reserved one but I'll get to why I say use to in a minute. Jack has always been the one that had to be talked into going along with the crazier things the other two thought up. He was usually the one that followed the others lead, until last year. He is the one that tries to keep in touch with everyone else in the family. He's also the most emotional out of the three and doesn't mind showing it. That kid has mad love and is such a great guy. I remember quite a few times over the years going to my parents house and Bill would be out or at work and Jack would just be chilling in his room upstairs. His room being, Jacks room because Bill had moved his bedroom downstairs so Jack kinda took over the upstairs one.

I remember the conversation my family and the boys had a couple years ago when Bobby wanted to join the Army right out of high school. I of course went on the whole Bush's Oil War tirade and in the end I thought the matter was dropped, it was for a year. Then out of the blue Jack tell us all he joined the Navy. Yes, our little Jack had done something the others hadn't done first and joined the Navy for 6 freakin' years!!!

I'm not agaisnt the military at all, I'm agaisnt a war that kills our brothers and sisters so that Bush and his fat cat buddies can get richer. My cousin was in the Navy, I have many friends in the Navy, considering I live around one of the biggest Naval Bases around you can't really get away from it around here. I was I bit sad knowing that Jack was going to be gone for so long but I knew at least on a ship he wouldn't be in the line of fire. But then a couple months later the other two get it into their heads that they are going to join. Are they going the nice safe Navy route? Hells no, they go full on Army, infantry no less. You know, the ones on the frontline? Yeah thats what my bonehead brothers signed up for. They made sure that they would be able to train together, be in the same company and division. They wanted to do it all together. So after many tears they left for basic. Less than a month later we get a call, Bill has to come home because he has a problem with his eyes that requires surgery.

Many a person would have taken that as a sign and left it at that but not Bill, oh no, he is hellbent to get back in. He wants to get the surgery done as soon as possible so he can re-enlist and finish basic. He wants to go to Iraq. He told me one night that it's just something he feels he needs to do. Bobby on the other hand doesn't want to go. He just finished basic less than a month ago and less then two weeks later he got his orders. He left for Iraq last Monday. He's going to be stateside for a short time and then sent over. He just got of fucking basic. None of my brothers are killers but I guess when you are fighting for your life and Bush Co.'s oil interests you do what you have to do.

This is the first time since they all met in preschool that they have all been apart. Jack leaves for a ship in a week, Bobby is training and shipping overseas and Bill is here, doing whatever he can to get over there. The war has become personal to many people, especially for the men and women over there who aren't really sure what they are fighting for anymore. I just hope when it's all said and done, all three of my brothers will be back home, in one piece, settling down and giving me more nieces and nephews to dote over. I just don't think things are ever going to be the same for them or any of us again.

I wish I could have just kept them younger for a while more until this was all over. I would give anything to have them hanging out in the driveway with their bicycles, talking about soccer practice or playing a pick up game of basketball. Or to open my parents fridge and ask my mom where all the leftover spagetti she told me she had was, only to have her reply (as always), "the Boys got to it." I do think they have all three become incredible guys, each with much to offer the world. I really pray they all get the chance.

No comments: